Brigade Electronics has launched a new indicator warning alarm to alert vulnerable road users when a vehicle is turning.
The bbs-TI system, which is installed on the nearside of the vehicle, emits an audible alarm and activates indicator lights, alerting pedestrians, cyclists and other road users to a vehicle’s intention to turn.
The new system employs Brigade’s ‘White Sound’ broadband technology, which enables vulnerable road users to instantly locate which direction the sound is coming from. Gentler on the ear compared to traditional tonal alarms, White Sound dissipates quickly and is only heard in the danger zone, which also helps to reduce unnecessary noise disturbances.
Other features include:
- Suitable for use in multiple countries – no language barrier
- Optional muting of the alarm for night time hours
- Option to activate the alarm below a designated speed only
- Synchronise bbs White Sound technology with the vehicle’s indicator flash
- Suitable for left turn or right turn installations
- Complies with regulations and legislations that require an ‘audible vehicle manoeuvring warning for vulnerable road users’ when a vehicle is turning, including London’s Direct Vision Standard
“One of the leading causes of collisions between vehicles and other road users is when a vehicle is turning. Much has been developed to improve driver awareness of pedestrians and cyclists in the vehicle’s nearside blind spot, but this doesn’t always help vulnerable road users – especially if they are travelling at speed and go unnoticed by the driver. The bbs-TI, which is compatible with Brigade’s side camera monitoring systems and sidescan ultrasonics, will help to protect vulnerable road users and make fleets even safer," adds Emily Hardy, marketing manager at Brigade Electronics.